DUCHAMP, MAGRITTE, DALÍ | Revolucionarios del s.XX
10 April 2018 - 15 July 2018 | PLANTA NOBLE
Following Escher and Mucha’s exhibitions, the Gaviria Palace welcomes a collection of artworks made by great revolutionaries of the 20th Century, a show that brings together part of Duchamp, Magritte and Dalí’s artistic production, built upon masterpieces owned by the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. With these works the Gaviria Palace welcomes a cutting-edge exhibition dedicated to Dada and Surrealist revolutionaries.
For this occasion, the collection of works includes different formats and are signed by different artists such Duchamp, Magritte and Dalí, as well as Ernst, Tanguy, Man Ray, Calder, Picabia, Schwitters, Höch, Blumenfeld and Janco, all of them belonging to the revolutionary artistic movements of the 20th Century. The 180 works on display, loaned by the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, include masterpieces such as ‘The Castle of the Pyrenees (Magritte, 1959), ‘Surrealist Essay’ (Dalí, 1934) and ‘Man Ray’ (Man Ray, 1935).
The exhibition is divided into five sections – Desire: Muse and Violence; Wonderful Yuxtapositions; Automatism and its Evolution; Biomorphism and Metamorphosis; Illusion and The Oneiric Landscape, and includes a special reproduction of Dalí’s Mae West Room, as well as the recreation of the installation Twelve Hundred Coal Bags Suspended from the Ceiling over a Stove that Duchamp created for the 1938 International Surrealist Exhibition, both carried out by the architect Óscar Tusquets Blanca, hence offering a wide tour of Dada and Surrealism, movements that challenged tradition and manifested themselves through the use of visual materials and tricks that revolutionised art culture. The Israel Museum collection was born more than half a century ago, thanks to generous contributions made by artists and benefactors, a collection that brings together a large catalogue of Dada and Surrealist pieces: paintings, readymades, photographs, as well as works created with a great variety of original and innovative techniques at the time.
The exhibition is commissioned by Dr. Adina Kamien-Kadzan, curator of the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.